Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Show Me the Pink + JAPANTHER

Sunday I went to basement punk show at a friend of mines house. Japanther and Show Me the Pink were playing. I don't really know how he got this deal set up, or how any of it really works, but Japanther is actually a pretty big group. Like, a bunch of people know if them, and now they are playing in some kids basement. I don't get it, but I dig it. The guyhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.photo.gifs that started Japanther went to Pratt actually, which is interesting. Maybe Talia will end up in a punk band someday...

I hadn't much of any of their stuff before seeing the show, but I did know their name. I was exciting, though.

I bike to the house around 7:30 - 8:00ish and meet up with friends inside. Japanther was cool enough to show up late, so you know they are legit. We hang out for awhile and people are gettin a little drunk when before we know it after an hour has gone by and they still haven't showed. We start getting a little bored and anxious so we find a ball and go outside and FOUR SQUARE IT UP. I forgot how great this game is. So, uh, we are going to hit up Long Lots one of this days in the summer and rock out. Def.

So, we see the bands van roll by a little bit later so we head back to the house to see if anything has started up yet. Too many people pile into the basement around Show Me The Pink and they start rocking out.



I'm not really into the punk scene...like, at all, but oh my god I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed the show. The music is eh, but IT'S LOUD, ENERGETIC, AND INTOXICATING, so I'm more than down. The scene was gnar, the place was full of tattood, drunk, punkers going crazy. Picture proves it:



No ceiling clearance, I LOVE IT. SO retarded, it's the best.

So, Japanther comes on after and they are dope as shit. They sing into telephones that look like they have just been ripped out of PayPhones and they make their voices sound slightly mechanical which gives a really cool edge.



One of the highlights of the night was the destruction of the place. By the time we left, it was hardly a basement, and much more of a wasteland. Someone had ripped the piping from the ceiling was hanging by these pipes in the middle of the dance floor. It started leaking and people started going crazy and pulling harder until the thing BROKE IN HALF showering the entire crowd and band with gushing gurgling fountains of water pouring from the ceiling. PEOPLE. WENT. NUTS. The guy he lived there tried to fix it for a minute, then went back to dancing a second later. SO GNAR.

YESSSS

This was probably the best ending to any party I've ever been to. A waterpipe was broken showering the basement, Japanther had finished playing the last of all of the songs they've written, and the cops showed up. All within 5 minutes. It could not have been a better finish to an insanely energetic Sunday evening. I'd do it again in a second.

1 comment:

JCotton said...

I like Japanther, my sister turned me on to them. Good stuff that sounds like the craziest night ever